This weekend we went to a Prop 8 rally in Southern California.
At the rally, some woman called my beautiful baby "the face of hate."
I was shocked...and speechless. But not anymore.
I would never, never, NEVER say anything like this about you or any of your precious children--not to your face, and not behind your back. I know of a mother's adoration for her child, and I'm insulted that you, being a mother yourself, would cross the line and spit out those words at my child.
My child is not now and never will be the face of hate. I will teach my children that you can disagree but still be respectful. If Reggie ever said something so hateful to you or your child, there would be consequences and an apology for speaking so inappropriately.
You demand tolerance, but don't display it. You accuse my silent baby of hatred, but perpetuate hatred with your obscene gestures and language.
To use your own slogan, YOU were unfair and YOU were wrong.
12 comments:
I'm shocked too that any mother could say that about any baby. I agree with you that Reggie will never be "the face of hate." You are a good woman, and a good mother. You are loving toward all people, though you stand for correct principles. You are teaching Reggie to be the same way, and I admire you for it.
That makes me so mad! Why is it that the people who claim we need to have more tolerance tend to be the ones who are intolerant? I can't believe she said that to cute Reggie. For one thing, your decisions and actions have nothing to do with Reg, especially now because he's so little. For another thing, I don't know how someone could say that to anyone, let alone an innocent baby. I think this post was really well written! Sorry that it happened!
Wow, that's awful! If that's what hate looks like I gotta me get me some hate:).
Oh my gosh, I can't even BELIEVE that! I'm not sure what would I would have done if that happened to me but it probably would have involved a little violence and a night in jail. Hopefully not though.
This was a thought provoking post, thanks for that.
AMEN. Great post! And Reggie is such a sweet little boy! How infuriating!
You need to send this to the editor of your local newspaper, or maybe just straight to the NY Times.
I am so glad that other people (although they are few) see it like I do. Their hypocrisy is so thick, I don't know why not everyone sees it.
Very nicely put. The other day, after you left, Ryne was talking about his future wife- and dad said,"Just find a girl like Emmie who will love your kids and take care of you". That as you know is a high compliment--I hope you will still come to California even though some or most (we'll know after the election today) are lunkheads.
Wow! Crazy day Em. Good for you standing up for yourself. I don't know what I'd do if someone called my baby that.
Consider the source I guess. Crazy lady!
I am so sorry someone said that about sweet Reggie. It's too bad the woman couldn't see the irony in what she was saying. AND if she really knew you and your family, she would not have said that!
That is crazy! Did you say anything back. I think I would be laying the smack down on that lady.
oh. my. goodness. i cannot believe somebody would actually say that to you! i am so shocked. it really is true that everyone expects us to conform and agree with their lifestyles and forget that we have just as much right to think how we want to think as well.
Amen. I am with you on that one. Yes on Prop 8.
Post a Comment