Thursday, July 30, 2009

Zombies

Does that title make you curious?

I heard about a book awhile ago and was really interested in reading it. After putting the book on hold, and waiting for awhile, I finally got my hands on it--Pride and Predjudice and Zombies.

The book's premise is that a strange plague is gripping London and creating zombies. Basically, the author takes out all the social training that the Bennett girls endure in the original book and trades it for Oriental training in the defensive arts. Elizabeth and her sisters battle the undead at balls, on the road to Meryton, and in their own social circle (Charlotte becomes "stricken"). Lady Catherine and Mr. Darcy are portrayed as some of the finest defenders in all of London.

I wanted it to be so fantastic. I love a good parody and witty satire, but honestly, I don't even think I can finish it. The website where I originally read the synopsis and recommendation said that if you're an "Austen Purist," you might want to stay away from this book. Considering I don't love the 5 hour BBC version of P and P, I had decided I'm not a purist by any means.

But maybe deep down I am, and I didn't even know it....

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Curious. I'm glad you posted this. I've heard so much about it but have a hard time picturing it being good, but I was intrigued by the many good reports.

Becca said...

I heard about it awhile ago, but I couldn't get past the cover...

Mari said...

I saw this at target the other day and was wondering about it. I may be too much of a purist myself though considering I've watched the 5 hour pride and prejudice many many times. But that is still just a movie... I dunno.

shayne said...

Hahahahahahaha.....hahahahaha.....that is probably the funniest thing I've ever heard! Is this book serious??? I love zombies, more than P & P, so maybe I just might like it!

Amy said...

So let me get this straight...Lizzy is a zombie fighting hero? I'll stick with the BBC movie! HA