Monday, February 14, 2011

These are my Valentines



As a teacher, Valentine's day was my least favorite holiday. The fun of the party just didn't outweigh the pain of the rest of the day and the aftermath of 24 hyped up students. Don't get me wrong, I loved all the little Valentines from my students--I even once got a drawing of a student's little hands, under which he had written "My hands, my heart." But the sugar cookie decorating mess (oh the frosting), watching the kids eat their cookies with nauseating amounts of pink frosting and conversation hearts, the headache of trying to help new readers pass out personalized Valentine's to their classmates, and then trying to keep tabs on all the sugar rushed children equaled one big headache by the end of the day.

And now I've learned as a mother to a three year old, Valentine's day is much the same, minus the sugar cookie decorating. I threw that out the window after he downed a box of chocolates, skittles, sandwich cookies, and a pixie stick.

Good thing these two are cute and that their craziness can make me burst out laughing in even the more stressful parts of the day. And good thing Dad came home with fabulous Valentine's day love and ready to wrestle with the wee ones.



And now I'm off to add to my sugar intake with a blondie sundae. Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

mommaj said...

Precious pictures. We are as Trae would put it "uber" excited for you to come this weekend. Love you all!

kiley said...

Haha I never thought about how teachers feel about Valentine's Day. All the kids hopped up on sugar. How funny. At least with your own kids you only have to deal with 2 instead of 20!