Monday, March 24, 2008

Memories of Easters Past

I was remembering yesterday about our fun experiences on Easter 2007. Let me take you back...

The day started normally. Brandon and I went to church, and afterwards, he stayed to count tithing and I went to a friend's baby blessing. We got home about the same time, and Brandon complained of a bad stomach ache. We figured it might just be from fasting, so we weren't too concerned. I made dinner (ham, potatoes, rolls, yummy!), and Brandon, Bryant (Brandon's brother), and I sat down to eat. Brandon's stomach was still killing him, and he had even spent part of the day curled up in a ball on the bed, so we called my brother, the doctor, to get his opinion. In the back of my mind I was thinking it was appendicitis, and after describing Brandon's symptoms, my brother agreed. So we left Bryant at the apartment, and we were off to the E.R.

I laugh when I remember Brandon in triage. The nurse asked what was wrong and Brandon said "I'm having appendicitis." Note to everyone, you are not supposed to diagnose yourself in triage. :) That's the nurse's job. We got checked in, Brandon was whisked off for a scan. While we were waiting for the results, Brandon's family started calling to wish us a Happy Easter. Brandon didn't want them to know we were in the hospital until we knew what was going on so it was really awkward talking to them.

The results came back positive for appendicitis, and we met with the surgeon. Brandon will probably always remember the surgeon's bedside manner as he said "If your having appendicitis it should hurt right here," and then he drilled his hand into Brandon's side. OUCH!!! Unfortunately, because Brandon had eaten dinner, we couldn't go into surgery until much later that night. So they admitted Brandon and we started the rounds of phone calls to family, friends, and professors (it was right before finals) to let everyone know what was going on.

Brandon finally went into surgery probably around 10:00 that night, while my family and I waited out in the waiting room. Everything went well, and Brandon was discharged from the hospital the next day.

Now back to the present.

In honor of this whole ordeal, Brandon's pictures of the surgery have mysteriously made their way back onto our fridge. Lovely!

5 comments:

Brittnie said...

we were just remembering that too! Bryant stayed on Reed's couch and he thought Reed's roommate watched him sleep that night!

kiley said...

Oh my gosh! I hope he's okay. You'll never forget this Easter.

Jon Becca James said...

I'm glad you are able to laugh about this experience a year later!

Mari said...

Ahh yes... Tyson and I remember that Easter with fondness. It was a good one...

karla said...

I remember that! I'm glad this Easter wasn't nearly as eventful.