Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Digital Scrapbooking

I am wanting to make a special scrapbook for the first year of Reggie's life. Since he was born on a Monday, I've titled it "Mondays with Reggie" and basically have taken pictures each week and jotted down little things he's done or experiences we've had.

Realizing that a year has 52 weeks and that would mean 52 pages at a minimum, I decided to skip the paper and go for digital scrapbooking. My parents bought me Photoshop Elements 6 for my birthday in July, and while I've played around with it, I have no idea what I'm doing.

I went to the local library and picked up a bunch of books on digital scrapbooking and Photoshop Elements (unfortunately only books on the older versions were in, but I've placed some holds) thinking maybe that would help me get started. Well, after reading through two books this afternoon I am still feeling like I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm guessing it's going to have to be one of those things where I just need to sit down and try to get something done, but honestly, what's the deal with layering? How do I make a background? How do I even write text? Where do I get fonts, embellishments, etc.? Oi....

Does anyone else that reads my blog do this as a hobby? If so, help me!

7 comments:

mommaj said...

have you seen the girls room? the pile keeps growing and I think my BABY JUST TURNED 15. Anyway good luck. I am excited to see what you do.

Becky said...

I have a bunch of stuff I can send you. Some of it, I want back when you're done but you can just bring it back at Christmas. I think it will help.

alanna said...

Yes Em, I share this hobby. Only I have a Mac. They are amazing. Iphoto does everything. I just click and drag my photos into their pre done amazing books. I love it! People gush over them and their quite economical too.
I guess this doesn't help you much...sorry. You could always get a Mac though. :)

shayne said...

Definitely go to scrapgirls.com, they have some free getting started stuff you can download. They also have instructions with everything you buy.

Meridy said...

If you want to do really easy predesigned scrapbooking, sign up for a smilebox account. You have to pay a fee though to be able to keep your designs and print them. We use it so much that it is worth it.

I also create my own designs using a photoshop like program, called photo explosion. And I LOVE shabbyprincess.com. They have elements and paper you can buy and a lot of kits for FREE. if you go to that website and click on downloads in the upper left hand corner you can check them out for yourself.

I would love to come over sometime and help you figure it all out if want. Just let me know!

kiley said...

Sounds like so much fun. I need to learn digital scrapbooking one day too. Can't wait to see the finished project!

karla said...

Learning how to use Photoshop better is one of the things on my "wish to do" list. I can't really put it on my to do list until I get Photoshop. :)