Brandon and I kicked off finals week with a night out to dinner. I love going out. I love not having to cook. I love not doing dishes. It's a wonderful thing.
We went to a restaurant that we had both previously black listed because we didn't like the food, but we gave them another shot because we had a gift card. Brandon loves going out as long as it's free.
Well, let me tell you. That restaurant was black listed for a reason. Brandon's burger was crusted (really I do mean crusted) in pepper, and my pasta was runny, bland, and greasy all at the same time. Reggie enjoyed his water. Our appetizer was undercooked, but the dipping sauce was flaming hot. All in all, we decided it would have been better to have spent the $25 dollar gift card on drinks and possibly desserts.
Even though the food was awful, we both felt this obligation to eat it. When the waiter came by to check how things were, we felt obligated to say "good." I even felt obligated to ask for a box to take home the three quarters of my dish that I didn't eat (said box was strategically "forgotten" on the table. If someone had seen and ran it out to me in the parking lot, I would have felt obligated to take it and say thank you.).
So my question is, are we the only ones out there that are like this?
9 comments:
No I'm totally the same. fortunately my husband isn't so he makes complaints for me.
You are definitely not alone. When Mom and Dad were up here for graduation, Dad was just finishing saying how crappy the food was when the waiter walked by and asked how it all was. WIthout a second of hesitation he said, "great." You are not alone. Then we went to Dairy Queen for dessert (and were happy with the change!)
Kristi, no family secrets! Been there done that many times. Dad the real injustice is that he had to leave them a tip! The upside is you still didn't have to cook, or do dishes--small recompense but it's something. Dad wants to know if it was applebee's (first choice on our black list)
I would feel obligated to eat it too. But what I want to know is, what restaurant is this??
Maybe I'm a jerk because I'm totally the opposite. We went out to dinner on our anniversary to outback. We ordered one thing and got something else. I looked at it and went, YUCK! I didn't touch my plate and when the waitress came back I politely told her to try again. Mine wasn't free and I wasn't going to spend all that money and (especially now with three kids) a rare night out on something nasty.
yeah, it was applebees.
Okay, I'm so glad you named the restaurant. You don't want the rest of us to have to suffer through eating there do you? ;) By the way, we had horrible food there the last time we went too. I didn't think it was that bad in Utah, but it sure was bad here!
Remember how I posted about Jon and my date at the Italian restaurant with the yummy gelato? Remember how I wrote that our dinners weren't as good as I would expect for the price? (e.g., the Kraft-quality Parmesan. Blah.) Both our waitress and the restaurant owner asked us how our food was, but I didn't want to hurt their feelings and complain about the cheese. In hindsight, I think I should have--the owner would have really appreciated the feedback. Maybe if we go again, I'll be bold enough to make a suggestion, but I totally get your feeling obligated to enjoy your meal. :)
Yes you are.
J/K!
But I'm sooo not like that. I will tell them if it's not good, ask for something else, and if that's not good then I would ask for my money back--and a gift card in case I want to give them another chance. :) Ok, not all that. But seriously, I have no qualms about saying it how it is. Neither does Brad.
It might be because we've both been waiters before.
We tip good too for that reason.
:)
Post a Comment