So with all the media hoopla, we trekked off to the Health Department to get stabbed in the arm/leg with the H1N1 vaccine.
It. was. insane.
We got there only a half hour early. We knew there would be a line whether we went at 7 or at 9 so we decided to just go later and get to sleep in a bit more.
When we got there, parking was a mess.
Cue my blood pressure to start rising.
Brandon dropped me off at the front of the building so I could get in line while he and Reggie went off roading (for reals) in our trusty Corolla for a parking space. I walked around one side of the building. Then another side. Then another side. Then another side. Yes friends, that's all four sides. Then I crossed the street and walked down one side of the strip mall. Then I turned and walked back up the side of the strip mall since the line was now serpentine-ing through the parking lot.
Rise some more blood pressure.
The girl behind us had plugs in her ears and a ring like a bull's coming out of her nose. I was hoping Reggie wouldn't use this opportunity to point and say "Whaz that?" The man behind her was giving some sort of lecture on all the Jewish laws. Interesting, but I don't really know who he was talking to. In front, there was a toddler running all over the place and the whole time I was worried that she was going to be stolen or hit by a car. Both scenarios seem inevitable.
And an hour or so later came the relief. They took all the pregnant women and made a new line.
Blood pressure went down a notch.
So we waited in that significantly shorter line amid all the other big bellied females with all their older children and toddlers. However, now I was so close to the building that I could hear all the screaming children as they were getting vaccinated.
Blood pressure on the up and up.
And then I looked over.
There was an old, fat man in a wheelchair right by the line smoking a new cigarette.
Blood pressure boiled over, and I honestly wanted to go tip him over.
Not the most Christ-like moment of my day.
But we're now vaccinated, and I'm left wondering if it wouldn't have been less painful to actually get swine flu.
10 comments:
If only you lived here. Tad called yesterday saying he had the vaccine and did we want it? I said yes and we met him at the office today and got it done. Over and out.
That is RIDICULOUS! At least it is now over...
Oh Emms! I am sorry that your blood pressure hit the reichter scale but reading your post sure lowered mine. What else could have gone wrong? I am very relieved that you and Reg are both vacinated. Thanks for hanging in there. Was Brandon a fun guy in line? Did he get a shot?
you are a brave girl!
I am so excited that you may be having a girl. Yeah!
You are a brave girl to stand in line for so long. Way to go.
And just think...you get to go get Reggie's second dose in 4 weeks! I'm soooo lookin forward to doing that with Ella...NOT! I hope our preggo bellies get us to the front of the line then, too.
Ha, I'm not laughing at your story (it's quite frustrating!) but can I just say how much I miss you. Your story made me smile.
Wanna hear my story? I called the pediatrician, and they said they were out of vaccines. Well, we had a clinic here, so I trucked the girls out to West Omaha to get shots. The line was rediculous, outside, and cold. So, we went home. The next day, the twins had their 2 year check ups. Guess what, they got some in that morning. BAM! Vaccinated right in the office. None for me, though. Aaron and I decided to brave another clinic around noon on Saturday. We were there and back in less than 45 minutes. Looks like I'm the best in the world at getting vaccinated. HA!
I don't say this to make you feel bad... just to make me feel good. :)
Em, seriously, I'm glad you (and others) made it out of that day alive! Good work. You should get a medal!
What a pain! At least you guys are vaccinated now and its all over.
emily...I laughed so hard I was crying! I'm sorry, it wasn't really funny. But your blog is my favorite! you always have a good sense of humor and make me laugh. Hope all is well. I'm excited to hear about that new little baby! I wish we lived closer so we could spend time together...how long have we been wishing this? Since we were five?
Post a Comment