Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chocolate Milk

Almost magically, both kids go down for a big nap around 1:00. During that time, I read, browse the internet, sleep, and do whatever it is that I need to do. But before all that, I get myself a big cup of chocolate milk.

It's my reward on those days when I can say, "I have been a good mom this morning. I lived in the moment. I played blocks, cars, airport, and soccer and didn't care about the mess. I got everyone showered, diapered, and fed in pretty good time. I got Reggie's teeth brushed!!! Hallelujah!!! I listened to what Reggie had to say. We had some good talks. I snuggled Miss Penny. I tickled her chub and made her do some pretty great belly laughs. Good job me!"

It's my solace on days when I say, "Buck up. The afternoon will go better. Have a little more patience; it will go a long way. Dishes, laundry, bathrooms can wait, or just give in and let Reggie help. It won't be perfect, but it will be good enough. Penny has sat in her seat for way too long. Enjoy her more--she's getting big fast. Read your scriptures and take a nap. Everyone will be happier in a few hours."

Thank heavens for chocolate milk.

How do you reward yourself or get through your day?

(And because this picture makes me laugh at loud every time I look at it.)

5 comments:

Kelli Burton said...

good work Em! your bathroom looks amazingly clean in that hilarious pic of Reg.

after a long week of work lately I've been rewarding myself with pedicures. I know this won't be possible the rest of my life so I'm def enjoying it now!

Lauren said...

I reward myself with a good book! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has good and bad days. :) If we ever have another one it'll just get harder, so I better enjoy just the one for now.

mommaj said...

Love the picture of Reg, He makes me smile too. Please do whatever you have to keep Penny for growing up too fast.
I love your persepctive. Treasure the time.
I guess like you chocolate would be incorporated somewhere EVERY day. One of my favorite coping skills I was told by an older sister in our ward. She said, "When the kids were teenagers, I used to go into the bathroom and scream into a towel". Try it--it feel really good!

Brittnie said...

you're such a good mom!

Joanna said...

I needed to read that today. Thank goodness for nap time!