I have a goal this year. And considering that I didn't make this goal until this summer, I've got more than just January to reach it. My goal is to make something for dinner that leaves Brandon saying "That was better than my Mom's."
So far, I have yet to hear those words--about a main dish at least.
To be fair, Brandon's mom is no stranger to the kitchen. She definitely knows what she's doing in there. I can remember way back to freshman year of college hearing Brandon boast about his mom's rolls and how they were so buttery. I've had those rolls, and they are good.
I'm alright when it comes to cooking. I'd say I'm still in my "sous chef" years. Maybe not even that. I've been known to burn a roast (oops), kill the yeast in pizza dough (I'm blaming the yeast), and have other mishaps when it comes to following a recipe. At least Brandon thinks its funny that twice a year I complain about the struesel dropping to the bottom in our conference struesel cake for no reason I can explain.
Part of the problem also stems from the fact that we ate different things growing up. For example, I made an orange steak stir-fry for Father's day. I asked Brandon how he liked it. He said it was good. I asked if it was better than his mom's. He said "I don't know. We didn't eat stir-fry growing up." I'm not necessarily trying to compare my recipes to hers with certain foods, but in this case, I guess he felt he had no point of reference.
So while I've failed thus far with main dishes, I have had success with two sides. Two sides of potatoes no less. This is big considering that Momma Jo is Idaho bred.
Thank you Lipton Onion Soup mix. :)
5 comments:
Yeast is tricky! Scared me for the longest time. Still does sometimes.
If it makes you feel any better--I hear all about Debbie's lasagne and Grandma's turkey gravy. I have a great solution--invite grandma to dinner and make her make the gravy! You are a wonderful cook, we just had your chicken/dressing recipe and it was fabulous! And oh by the way, I don't remember getting rave revues when you hubby lived at my house!I'm just sayin! Dad says before you know it Reggie will be doing it to his little wife!
Ha, well believe me, you are LIGHT YEARS ahead of me ;) Especially since I have a hubby that cooks more / better than I do - I haven't even had a reason to learn....
I have just given in and asked Ryan's mom for her recipes of Ryan's favorites. Let's get together this next week!
Interesting goal. Just try to keep in mind that food always tastes better when you are reflecting it. There may be some exaggeration to Brandon's memory.
Post a Comment