Monday, June 18, 2012

So we had a Meatless Monday

Tonight was our first Meatless Monday.  I figured we'd play it safe and picked a mac and cheese recipe.  However, since my whole goal with Meatless Monday is to make healthier food choices, I picked a recipe from Cooking Light that used a butternut squash in the sauce instead of a fatty bechamel. 

And in making the sauce, the kitchen smelled good.  I was tasting as I went along and things were tasting good.  Yes, there was some cheese in the sauce, but even before adding in the cheese, the sauce was deceptively cheesy.  I liked it. 

But after baking it, everything kind of dried out and, while completely edible, it didn't quite deliver.  :(  I think next week we'll try a green smoothie and some sort of salad.  We'll see how that goes over.

1 comment:

mommaj said...

Glad you are trying new things. I have a really good recipe for mac and cheese, it may not be overy nutritious though!