*I survived my time in the chair with the dentist. I asked them to do everything at once, so I was numb in three of the four quadrants of my mouth, but I wanted them to just do it all while my mom was here to watch Colby for me. But onto manipulation...
I worked in a medical clinic through high school and during summer breaks from college. I think because of my time there, I try to be accommodating and easy going when I am dealing with those in health care. You want to put me on hold? Sure, I'm sure there are three other lines lighting up with callers, and I can wait. You want to reschedule my kid's well-child check? Sure, I have a pretty open schedule. The doctor is busy, but the PA/Nurse Practitioner is available? Send him or her in.
I don't like to throw a stink because I really didn't like those people myself. Now if it's something big or we've been sitting in a room for hours, then yes, I can get huffy like everyone else. But I try to be patient and easy to work with for the staff, nurses, and doctors.
Now with Reggie's dental needs, we couldn't get in to have things taken care of for a month. Normally, that would be fine. A cavity could probably wait a month. But the beast that needs a crown? I would rather take care of that ASAP, and I don't know if it can wait a month--especially after he kept waking up in the night saying his mouth hurt. So what did I do? I got P in for an exam. And while the dentist was checking out her teeth, I mentioned to him that Reggie couldn't come back in for a month because of scheduling. And that he was in pain. And that I was worried he might need an antibiotic. I was throwing out all the stops. Yes, I was manipulating. And I knew it. And I'm sure the provider knew it. :)
But I walked out of the appointment for P with a reminder card that Reggie's work will get done on Wednesday. Manipulation successful.
4 comments:
I can't believe that little guy needs a crown--yikes! I am glad that he has a fighter in his corner . . . glad that he's getting it fixed quick. Good job mom but somehow I can't bring myself to call YOU a munipulator! Too, too sweet!
I don't call it manipulation...I call that being a great momma and doin what needed to be done to get your boy some relief..YOU GO GIRL!!!
Good job! Love it.
Seems like an appropriate time to do some manipulation. Glad things are working out for you
Post a Comment