Wednesday, October 30, 2013

March 2013 Part 1

My kids only had two days of school last week thanks to fall break.  It was funny how I've become so used to my three mornings a week with only Colby.  It was kind of crazy having all my ducks for three extra days and my house was a mess.  Power to you homeschoolers.  :)

March 2013 is going to be a beast.  A three part beast actually.  Here's part 1.

We headed out to Valley of Fire with a group of friends to hike, have a picnic, and have an Easter egg hunt.  I haven't been up to the Northwest lately, but the desert landscape looks pretty gorgeous to me.



The great thing about Valley of Fire is that the rocks have little pockets of erosion (from wind maybe?  I don't know...) that make perfect hand and foot holds for climbing.  My kids aren't huge climbers, but they loved it all the same.




With our group, we hiked the Mouse Tank Trail.  According to history, a Southern Paiute Indian named "Little Mouse" hid in the rock formations after being accused of killing a couple of prospectors.  The hike was pretty perfect--only a half mile, mostly level, and not too crowded.



Colby got to ride in the baby bjorn although he was a bit too big for it.




Our group.  And the red rock.






Like I said, P is no climber so she sweet talked a friend into lifting her up onto a ledge.



And then the egg hunt.  All those little pockets in the rocks were perfect for hiding eggs.  The kids loved it, and I hope we can do it every year.





And then we raced home, with a carload of sleeping kids (miracle!) for Reggie's first soccer game of the season.  Pretty sure he scored 3 goals that day.


March 2013 Part 2 coming soon.

2 comments:

mommaj said...

Valley of Fire Little Mouse Trail for sure over thanksgiving! Love the pictures of Brandon and Colby-what a sweet face--both of them! I can't believe how grown-up Reg has become.

Kristi said...

That looks like so much fun! That Colby has the cutest grin! Cant wait for Thanksgiving