Thursday, May 29, 2008

My Insecurity

I have more than one insecurity, but we're only going to highlight one that's been on my mind lately. And that insecurity is...my name. How many Emily's do you know? I know several Emily's--old, young, and everywhere in between. I once lived in a BYU singles ward where 1/3 of the girls were named Emily. We would joke that all the boys needed to do was call a girl Emily, and 33% of the time, they would be right. Emily has been one of the most popular girl names for who knows how long, and it seems everywhere I go, I bump into another person with my name.

Therein lies my insecurity. There are too many Emily's. I always worry that someone won't know who I am when I call or write or introduce myself because they're wondering "Now which Emily are you?" I have a hard time reconnecting with old friends because of this. I have a hard time calling acquaintances, like people in the ward for example, because of this. I feel compelled whenever I do something to leave my first and last name to give the person a reference that I'm Emily Johansson.

Now rewind back with my to 1983. I'd just been born and my parents are deciding on my name. The story goes that they'd been considering naming me Rachel, but Emily fit better. I don't think I can imagine myself as a Rachel, and really, I do like my name (thanks Mom and Dad!), but maybe that would have solved this problem. Or maybe I would be having the same insecurity, but as Rachel...

Some might think that's funny--to feel insecure about your name--but there it is.

7 comments:

jodie said...

I totally hear you on the name insecurity thing! My problem isn't with too many Jordans, just all boy Jordans and no girl Jordans. I get called Mr. Hansen at least once a week. If it makes you feel any better, I know a TON of Rachels, but hardly any Emilys. You have a great name!!

Mari said...

I don't seem to have that problem... but I'm still afraid that people won't know who I am for some reason. Emily is a great name though... wait is this my sister or my sister-in-law?... Just kidding.

Deborah said...

My parents almost named me Dierdra (I have no idea how to spell it.) I am so happy they picked Deborah instead. Just so you know, I only know two other Emilys, and I know all of your voices well enough to tell you apart. So if you ever call me, you can just say Emily and I'll know who you are. :)

Jenn said...

I totally understand- Jennifer was the most common name for something like 20 years! Worse yet, every few years my nickname changes, so I never know how to introduce/reintroduce myself!

alanna said...

lol...Em, I think about this all the time while naming my kids. I don't want to give them a name that will be the same as everyone else...I've always liked being the only Alanna I know. However, I am highly conscious of giving my kid a "weird" name just so they'll stand out. I never want my kids to ask, "what were you thinking?" We'll see. :)

Julie said...

I feel your pain. Isn't it nice to know that everyone understands? There are three Julie's in the ward and two of us are in nursery together so that gets confusing. Also in college my roommate was a Julie and that was difficult too. After a while I knew the voice of everyone who would call for her but occasionally I would answer the phone and talk to people who were meant for her and a few times we hung up not knowing the difference until they tried to talk to her about the conversation later.

I have a different problem with Miya though. It's a really common name these days but it's always Mia and not Miya so everyone says it wrong. There is something to be said about everyone having your same name because they'll always get it right.

Alicia said...

I've never known that many Alicia's, but there are like 6 or 7 in this ward and 5 of my parents this year had that name, too. I do know a lot of Emily's, but you are by far my favorite! What day do you want to get together? Thursday? Friday? I'll be there tomorrow!