Monday, August 11, 2008

My Rant

I just need to get on a soapbox for just a minute. Humor me...

The mother's lounge is for mothers and their babies. Not for primary kids. Not for fathers. It's for mothers. It boggles my mind why a primary kid needs to come in. It really boggles my mind when a dad, knowing his wife is in there, just opens the door to check on her and the baby. (That's sweet that you want to check buddy, but there's probably someone else in there. At least knock!) This has happened twice to me, and while it's probably more embarrassing for the dad even though everyone's totally modest, it's annoying.

But a new experience was had in the mother's lounge yesterday. We had a big ol' meeting because they were combining and splitting and re-drawing and pretty much anything else you can do to 4 wards. Needless to say with 4 wards all meeting together, the lounge was PACKED!!!

Reggie decided not to nurse before church. Why? I have no idea. So about mid-meeting he decides he's hungry and off we go. I walk in to the very full mother's room and pull out a folding chair and get down to business. All the while 2 primary kids, who look around 6 or 7, are running around playing in the sink, banging the trash can, bumping into everyone, and making it hard for Reggie to focus on the task at hand. I'm pretty distracted too, especially when one of the mothers starts threatening to give her kid a "swat" if he doesn't leave the diaper pail alone.

I understand that sometimes a kid will throw a fit if they can't come with you, but really now. There are some places that just need to be off limits. If they have to come, is it too much to ask that they just sit on the floor? I don't care if they talk (although I'd still like to hear what's being said), look at a book, or play with something in their lap so long as it's not total pandemonium.

So that's it. Rant over.

6 comments:

Alicia said...

SERIOUSLY! Once I was in there and this boy that was like 12 came in with his mom. That was ridiculous! Seriously. I was hated when people came in super loudly. It would always frustrate me because Elinor was either eating or almost sleeping. And then it would be all over. I've never had a dad come in, though. That would be awful! I don't even know a dad in my ward that would dare come in. Once a dad knocked on the door but waited until his wife opened the door and never came in. Come to think of it, when that 12 year old came in it was in Henderson. I've had a better experience in Utah!

Julie said...

I totally understand the frustration. I had something like that happen to me and I had to nurse on the floor because some woman's kids were in there in the comfy chairs. Later I found out that her husband was in the bishopric and she didn't want to leave her kids unattended so I got that but make THEM sit on the floor.

Meridy said...

I've heard about dads coming in. Crazy. My husband wouldn't be caught dead in the mother's room. Please, dads, go change your kid's diaper in an empty room or the hall. It's better than coming in and getting flashed by an unsuspecting mother. Knocking is definitely a good idea. Or better yet, get ANOTHER mom to go check on your wife for you. And the thing is: most mom's don't even need to be checked on. If she needs you that bad, she'll put herself together and go find you.

I wouldn't count on the modesty thing. I have trouble nursing modestly, especially since my son is an older baby and curious and constantly breaking off to look around. That is what the mother's room is for---a place where mother's can go for privacy AWAY from men.

Erin said...

Emily, hey this is your cousin Erin. My parents got your blog address from the reunion and passed it on to me. So, hopefully you don't mind, but I'm sure I will now be checking out your blog often! I love to check people's blogs and now it'll be fun to have a family member to check on. I also saw a link for Liz and Tyson. So, don't worry I'll stalk them down too! It took me long enough but last week I finally set up my own blog. You are welcome to come check us out to if you'd like at erinandwayne.blogspot.com. I'm still getting into the whole blogging thing. I'm real good and checking them not doing my own!
I've never seen your little boy and he's seven months already. Crazy. He's a cutie! Well, I'm glad I found you and that I can see what you are up to. Take care!

Jenn said...

Oh my! We haven't had any problems with this- our mother's lounge just isn't a very happening place. But you can bet I'd be annoyed if some random guy poked his head in to check up on his wife.

Amy said...

Ha, I love the rants!!! But I live in Hippie liberal ville and the ladies in my ward feel free to breast feed their child sitting in their pue in sacrament meeting while facing the bishop on the stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!