I love watching Food Network and shows like Top Chef. Sometimes I wonder what they would have to say if they ate some of my homey (at best) food. Hopefully they would like it, but I'm sure they'd rip it to shreds. Someday, I hope to have a pantry full of exotic ingredients (and ok, the regular ones too!) so that I can at least try my hand at real cuisine. :)
But back to the title of this post. Brandon is at school all day today. He won't be home until bedtime. So I took the downtime to make some homemade soup. Love it. I wish he was home to share a bowl with, but the beauty of soup is that it gets better as it sits in your fridge and then is reheated. So he can enjoy some tomorrow, while I enjoy some tonight.
Baked Potato Soup
2/3 c. margarine or butter
2/3 c. flour
7 c. milk
4 potatoes (baked, cooled, peeled, cubed)
4 green onions, chopped
12 slices of bacon (cooked and crumbled)
1 1/4 c. shredded cheese
1 c. sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter and whisk in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thick. Stir in potatoes and green onions, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Mix everything else.
**I usually omit the green onions. They're not my favorite. I also use a Colby Monterey Jack cheese. When I make a full recipe, it lasts us for a good 4 days. Today I just did half.
12 comments:
That looks really good. Cheese+potatoes+bacon, gotta be a winner. We just may have to try this one!
That looks so good! And its way more simple- until I get my pantry full of exotic foods, simple is good (and maybe then too!)
I love baked potato soup. I'll definitely be trying this recipe!
Cool! Thanks for posting that!
Sounds good. I was thinking of making soup soon too. Tis the season.
p.s. Wednesdays are my rough day. He leaves at 6am, home by 7pm, basketball at 8pm. Sad times for me...and my two-year-old begging for Daddy!
that sounds delicious. thanks for sharing.
you can come cook for me anytime . . .
I left vegas without the recipe and was kicking myself. Thanks for sending it. How is widowhood? I know it is hard for all of you. Kiss the Regster!
I love watching cooking shows but never actually make the things. More often then not I end up not liking them so its not worth the time, effort or money. But the potato soup looks really good. I may have to try it someday.
I might have to make that tonight...I was thinking soup sounds good. And answer to your question I am due March 18th but probably will be sooner knowing my track record.
I will have to try this recipe. We are almost done finals, I hate finals, but then we are half way! Yeah!
Hey! Brandon's cousin Alicia here... Just wanted to let you know that we tried your recipe out, and it was superb! It is sure to become one of our favorites... And I'm with you on the omitting the onions! We didn't even attempt the soup with them...
Thanks for sharing! Keep those good tried-and-true recipes coming :)
Post a Comment