Thursday, February 5, 2009

It's True

Yesterday I lost my child. True story.

Thankfully, it was just in the apartment, and not some big store or parking lot. But it was still just as scary.

Reggie crawled behind the rocking chair in his room while I was in the kitchen doing dishes. I hadn't heard from him for a bit, so I called out "Reggie?" Usually he answers back "Da?" Go figure. Mama takes care of him all day, and he asks for dad. Yesterday, there was no answer. So I called again and again with no answer back. So I went looking. We keep all the doors shut except his bedroom, so there weren't many places he could go, but I couldn't see him in his room.

I started freaking out and opening doors that were shut where I knew he wasn't going to be, but I didn't know where else to look. Finally I came back to his room and noticed the rocking chair moving just slightly. There he was. Relief.

I tried to explain the rules of "I can't find you, you need to answer back when I call," but I don't think he quite got it. Oh well. Now I'll know where to look first when he goes missing again.

10 comments:

lisa said...

That is scary. Thank goodness it was in your apt.

Dr Brad said...

So scary. That sinking feeling where your mind plays out a million different scenarios until he's in your arms is the worst!
I lost Allen once. He got through an impossibly little small portion of our gate (in the yard) that wasn't even visible from most angles.
Basically I was screaming his name in the street like a crazy woman (really, barefoot and 8 months pregnant!) thinking he was kidnapped. I ran (waddled) around the back of the house and saw him wandering towards me through a neighbors yard.
He was only gone for about 90 seconds. But it was the scariest minutes of my life! It took me 10 minutes to stop shaking.
I'm very glad you were in your apartment.

Dr Brad said...

oops! It's actually Alanna. I forgot Brad was signed in! :)

Rachel said...

Even though it was just in your apt, it's still a scary feeling when you can't find your child. Maybe he'll be really good at hide-n-seek!

Kristi said...

Yikes! As fun as he is right now, it'll be a relief when the communication comes a little easier...

mommaj said...

It's amazing how many places your mind can go when that happens. One time after church I couldn't find Trae--Just at the point when I was going to call the cops--I found him asleep in the back of the suburban. They don't answer when they are asleep either.
We got the pictures yesterday, I tried to call but my stupid phone was not working. They are adorable thank you. He is now sitting on top of my piano.

Alicia said...

I lost Elinor at Brad's folks house over Christmas. I was the only one home and realized I hadn't heard her for a while (which usually means she found an open bathroom door and is playing in the toilet). I looked everywhere upstairs and in the basement and still couldn't find her. I completely started panicking. I finally found her sitting on a chair in the living room eating a candle. Nice. We also had the "If I call you, you need to answer" talk, but I don't think it worked either.

Lauren said...

Stuff like that can totally freak you out! Usually when Sydney doesn't answer it's because she is doing something VERY naughty--like unrolling the toilet paper until it's gone or something like that.

Meridy said...

Oh my goodness! I thought you meant that he had died! I'm so glad he's okay!!!!

kiley said...

I bet that was so scary. I'm glad you found him in your apartment!