The book's subject is about high school and it delicately and very sensitively talks about rape. By the end I was impressed. If I ever had a daughter running around with the wrong guy, I would have her read this book. Towards the end, a piece of notebook paper was sitting loosely for me "from a friend."
I opened it up, and here's what was inside--
10 lies they will tell you at **** High
1. You are important and you make a difference to everyone.
2. The dress code is enforced.
3. These are your golden years.
4. School assemblies are fun and cheerful.
5. It's not as hard as you think it is.
6. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
7. Varsity football team is awesome.
8. The freshman football team sucks.
9. We will beat **** High.
10. It's not all about who you are dating.
Then there was a list of six guys, first and last names, to stay away from.
I'm glad I'm past high school. It wasn't a horrible time in my life, but I don't know that I would go back and repeat it. However, reading these "lies" with an adult perception, I might have to say that most of them are probably truths (minus the football teams and assembly "lies." I have no clue how the local schools are in those areas. I don't totally agree with "the golden years," but high school for me seemed to have a perfect balance of independence and dependence on my parents.). I wish I could have seen as a 17 year old that all these things don't really matter and five years later, no one remembers any of it. If someone does, they're probably lame anyways.
So there you go. I recommend the book. And for your enjoyment, here's a pic of me from high school. I'm on the left side, in between the girl in the coat and the kid holding the trophy.

2 comments:
Good post.
I wish someone had told me that high school really doesn't matter.
It seems like the entire world when you're in it, and then, beyond the grades, it's very unimportant.
I was a nerd and yet married someone that was really popular in his school. Hooray for me. Too bad for the "popular" girls who are still stuck in town getting drunk with the high schools kids every weekend. Sad.
Wow, it's neat to see those kids again. Some of them I had completely forgotten about. High school seems like a whole life time ago. I didn't have a bad high school experience, but I preferred college life much more. For one thing, I got a second chance to make friends with you. Go figure that our paths would finally cross long enough to start a friendship not in the 2,000 student high school we both attended, but at the 30,000 student university . . .
Post a Comment