Friday, February 27, 2009

What's been going on

This little boy figured out the toilet paper soon after the DVDs. Thankfully, he played with it this once, and has since left it pretty much alone. He would rather throw the rug and scale around or try to flush the toilet than play with the roll of toilet paper.



And we've added a pet to our family. Nothing serious, just a betta fish. Although, if you ask Brandon, this is completely serious. Brandon got the idea of a betta fish in his head about a month ago, and we have honestly been to a pet store every weekend in February (although hopefully not tomorrow) looking at tanks, fish, and the all important factor, price. Even though I told Brandon we could get just a little fish bowl for a betta, he decided in was inhumane. In his opinion, a tank was too expensive so he was just going to let it go.

Since he was spending way too much time online researching everything about bettas (do you have a question about their mating practices? Brandon could tell you!), I mentioned to his parents that he wanted a betta for his birthday.

Last Saturday was Brandon's birthday. His parents came down in their little sports car from California, and Brandon's cute mom held a betta on her lap or between her feet for the three hour ride. Turns out they had brought just a little bowl, so we made multiple trips on Saturday to get this tank and all its stuff.

When I told my mom about all this craziness, she told me "Your dad went through a fish tank phase, too." Apparently it's a manly thing to want a fish tank. Or something like that.

Anyways, here's Alpha the betta.





Look at the concentration on my husband's face. Priceless.

8 comments:

Brittnie said...

What a dork! lol Reg looks so much like Brandon!

Becca said...

I think it's sweet he cares so much about his fish.

Julie said...

We had a Beta too. It's name was Mr. Bubbles. I actually found it in a cup outside on the sidewalk right before Christmas break at the Cannon Center at BYU. I put up signs and stuff but no one ever claimed it. That was one tough fish to survive outside Utah winter for who knows how long. We took it on several road trips with us to Washington once the bowl tipped over and it was quite traumatic for everyone. Sadly it died when I was pregnant with Miya.

alanna said...

Nice!
We had a Beta once. We were cruel and kept it in a large vase. His name was Sigfried.
Did you know Beta fish can jump? They can. We found that out a year and a half later when he jumped out of the vase and died.
No Betas since.
Cute pictures. :)
Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!!!

Jenn said...

Daniel hasn't yet discovered toilet paper yet, thank heavens. Give him a few weeks:).
My husband is very anti-fish. I had some pet ones for a while and he just didn't see the point, since you can't really interact with them. But I've never met a guy more devoted to a puppy (its the first pet he's ever had)

mommaj said...

Cute baby, cute fish. I am glad that he is so happy with it. I love the name and I am glad there is a lid on the tank so Alpie can't jump out--just think how exciting that would be for you and Reg--he would be trying to put it in his mouth and you would be freaking out-I know I would be! Love you all

Mari said...

Alpha the betta, heh heh heh. Tyson has not hit the fishtank stage yet, I wonder if he ever will? I think that might be more of something I would do. One time I got a little water frog to live with my betta and they were very good "bowl mates". Just if you think Alpha needs a friend.

Kristi said...

That is too funny! It looks like it is pretty entertaining for Brandon and Reg. That might be the best investment of the year for you!!!