I have been feeling a twinge of guilt lately. And it's over the craziest thing that I almost feel like I shouldn't admit it.
But I feel a little bit guilty for never having learned to play the organ. That's right. I said it. I feel guilty because I had all sorts of chances to learn how to play the organ, but never did. My mother can now pick herself up off the floor--hopefully the shock is over--and keep reading.
My mom was a ward organist and probably still would be if she was in a traditional family ward. Growing up with that, I equated knowing how to play the organ with a life long calling of your bum glued to the organ's bench. And I'm probably right in that opinion, in a sense. I don't think I've ever seen a ward bursting to the seams with ward organists, not even at BYU. There might be a few living in the boundaries, but everyone seems to get a turn in the month meaning that everyone who can play is by default a ward organist. And not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm a firm believer of developing talents, blooming where you're planted, and all that jazz.
But here I am, feeling guilty still and wondering how hard would it be to teach myself to play the organ?
**And what brought on the guilt you might wonder seeing as I have been perfectly happy being a non-organ player for years and years now? One of our organists moved and the other broke his arm. Hymns just aren't the same...
10 comments:
Guilt, that's how they get you you know. I have no doubt as tatlented as you are that you could pick-up the organ and be wonderful at it. Wards ALWAYS need organists. Someone in our ward offered to teach organ for free to anyone who wanted to learn--I didn't and guess what? I feel guilty!
too true. I miss the organ.
You would be awesome at that. It was crazy as I was reading your post I was thinking about how spoiled we are in our ward. We have three people who are called as the organists and they rotate. There are at least two more that I know of who can play too. It's crazy!! I wonder if it would be hard to learn. I still struggle with the piano.
It's never too late to learn, right? Sorry you're feeling guilty though . . . I feel that way about the piano! At least you can play that - that's a great accomplishment!!!!
And to answer your question, I learned to hand quilt in an enrichment group in my ward. This ward is so crafty. I have learned a lot!
I can teach you...with a little practice, there's not much to it. But, be prepared to play for the REST of your life!
At least you can play the piano.
I feel guilty for all the opportunities that I've had to learn that I never took. And I feel guilty that whenever I have that calling I show up ten minutes before the meeting starts and fudge my way through the hymns that I haven't practiced at all.
My favorite pianist-to-organist book is Organ Essentials by Don Cook. You can get it at the BYU Bookstore. Look around organ.byu.edu for lots of resources. It's never too late!
My mom tried to teach me to play the organ once...it's hard. I can relate to the "having your mom always be the ward organist" thing. When we were little, we had to sit on the front row so mom could give us the "evil eye" if we were misbehaving. Dad was always traveling on high council stuff.
I always feel guilty for not admitting that I play the piano. I always thought it would be fun to learn how to play the organ but like you I always equated it to a perpetual calling. You're right, though. Hymns are just not the same without an organ.
don't feel guilty. I tried to learn the organ for 4 months in high school and failed miserably. sustained sound: it's a blessed thing on the piano.
plus the whole hand feet coordination, so many disastrous notes await...
Post a Comment