I think each child comes with a checklist of things that just happen during childhood. There's the typical "eat rice cereal" and "sleep through the night" stuff as well as the "first cold" and "first tooth". And then there's the things like "first trip to the emergency room".
Thankfully we didn't go to the emergency room (knock on wood), but we can now check off "first call to poison control".
I showered in a different bathroom this morning. So I packed up all my gear and headed to the other bathroom. I showered and put everything back--except for my deodorant.
About five minutes before we needed to leave for church, I looked over and saw Reggie licking his lips and the tube of deodorant in his hand. I smelled his breath--powder fresh. And there was a nice long drag of either a tooth or a finger nail through the stuff.
Lovely.
Time travel back with me for a moment to elementary school. I can still remember those neon green Mr. X stickers. I stuck those things right on every telephone in our house. Now here I was needing the number for poison control and there was no Mr. X sticker in sight.
Thankfully we had a phone book.
The person on the other end reassured me that Reggie would be fine--if anything he'd have some nausea and vomiting. In the end, I don't think he actually ingested any, but just rolled it around on his lips like chapstick.
The best part was we still made it to church on time, and when we sat down and told Brandon the story, the brother behind us leaned forward and said "Our kid did that too."
8 comments:
Oh Em! He's his fathers boy! But you can't stop and wonder, would it work on chapped lips?
Nice. Who doesn't love powder fresh breath?!
I am glad Reggie is okay. I thought of you guys tonight. I think I remember you saying that Reggie was named after Reggie Bush. Way to go Saints!
Anyway, I thought of you guys, Hope all is well. Just a few months left. How exciting!
I was thinking of you last night during the Super Bowl too. Glad to hear he's okay.
Our first call to poison control was because Austin ate Desitin. Yuck.
Oh dear! I was hoping that they stopped sticking everything in their mouth by then. I'm glad to hear that everything is still good!
My first call to poison control, I was a wreck. Will's eye was completely swelled up because he had got vicks vapo rub in it. I was so stressed out and they kept asking me ridiculous questions about where I lived. :) I just wanted to know how to save my child. Anyway they told me I had to put him in a bath tub and dump water over his head for some ridiculous amount of time like 20-30 minutes. It was terrible.
I'm glad your experience was better. :)
Yikes! That's scary! I'm glad everyone was okay!
I had to call the poison control when I caught Adam chugging eyeglass cleaner. I think that stuff is supposed to burn going down, but he liked it. The PC just told me to pump him up with as much fluids as I could to dilute it. He never even acted as if his tummy was upset.
Post a Comment