Friday, September 9, 2011

Not Normal

Normal mischief for my 3 1/2 year old includes something like this...



He's been known to do the above several times. Or something like it. If things are quiet, he can usually be found dumping all his toys out of the buckets, flinging all the towels out from under the sink, or what is pictured above, dumping out the entire contents of our shredder. Really though, it's just a mess, and he's good to help me clean up, so I don't get all that worked up about it.

On Wednesday, I needed a break. Penny is dropping her morning nap (I'm kind of forcing the issue), and after dealing with a crabby baby all morning, I just needed a bit of peace. So I set Reggie in our room with Nemo on, his bucket of trains, and an Otter Pop. We've done this before, he knows to play quietly or watch his show, and after a bit, I would come in and join him.

But on Wednesday, he finished his Otter Pop, and then went fishing in our desk.

And what he found was a blue permanent marker (the kind that comes in those styrofoam trays and smells like blueberries).

And what he did with it was totally not normal mischief for him.







Up to his elbows in blue permanent marker. This from the kid who freaks out if a little bit of crayola marker gets on his fingers while he's drying. Not normal.

Several baby wipes later and scrubs in the sink, we had reduced the blue to this...



Not much better.

Thankfully he didn't get any marker on the bed, carpet, or walls. If he had, I don't think we would have been giggling as we tried to clean him up.

He was calling himself "The Blue Man", but today all that really remains is some blue in between his fingers.

If your kid ever does this, I recommend lots of scrubbing and hair spray. Just so you know.

6 comments:

mommaj said...

Hillarious!!!! Made me hungry for blueberry muffins though! I am so grateful for a mommie who giggles through the madness!

mommaj said...

I think it might be all those "blue man group" billboards! :D

Rachel said...

That is hilarious! He is a blue man! I'm glad he didn't get it on anything less washable.

He looks so grown up in those pictures. What a cute little boy. Oh, and I love Penny's pigtails in the previous post. She too is getting so big. What a sweet little family!!

Kacy said...

haha Hailey said "Reggie has gloves on." Great post.

Kristi said...

That is too funny! I'm relieved to see that Bailey isnt the only one who spends her time dumping everyhing out. I've made a mental note to hide the markers...

lisa said...

Hey Emily, I thought I would comment on your blog because I think you are more likely to see it. I enrolled Melanie at the Holladay location. So far I really like it I plan on keeping her there for her school years. You will have to let me know what you think! We will be moving in a year and probably be at a different location next year.