Saturday, October 29, 2011

Halloween

Sometime during the month Penny figured out how to say "Happy Halloween" all by herself. It's basically the cutest thing ever.

And now onto the costumes.

Reggie flip flopped between Batman, Spiderman, and Buzz all month. It changed at any given moment which character he was going to be. We honestly didn't care which he picked. Our only "rule" was no masks. What we meant was, "If you choose a costume that has a mask, you will not get to wear it," but he must have interpreted it as, "You can't choose a costume with a mask." When the time came to go pick up the costume from Target, he didn't choose Batman or Spiderman (both of which had masks). He didn't even choose Buzz. He chose a vampire.

The funny thing was when we asked him if he knew what a vampire did. He said that a vampire is a good guy who gets that bad guys. Even when Brandon threw out the "I want to suck your blood" statement, Reggie came back with "Only the bad guys." Brandon's little brother said maybe Reggie was going as a vampire of the Twilight variety.



And I meant to tuck in his little froo froo collar thingy for the picture, but forgot.



And now for P. Costumes from the store were out of the question. We had put her in the cow costume from last year to see how it fit. She admired herself in the mirror and then wanted it off. And she let you know it. So something big and bulky was definitely out. She needed something more like regular clothes. I decided early in the month to just make a tutu. Easy. Cheap. Just the teeniest bit of hand sewing. And no pattern to have to figure out.

But then Brandon thought she would make a great mad scientist with the famous bedhead she wakes up with. So I began searching the internet to figure out how to make a 18 month sized lab coat. There was nothing. So on a wing and a prayer, I went to the fabric store, picked up what I thought would be enough fabric and got to cutting/sewing. I should mention that I've never sewn sleeves into a garment by myself. Or made a collar. It was an adventure. But amazingly, I bought enough fabric, the sleeves fit in nicely, and the collar actually worked. My only problem came at the very end when I was hemming the sleeves and the bottom and someone had messed with the tension dial. I didn't really recognize the problem until after the fact, so thankfully these pictures don't show my bubbly stitches.

Oh, and the day of our trunk or treat she didn't nap, so there was no glorious bedhead. I had to do my best ratting and spraying. And I had to chase her back and forth across our patio to get her hair sprayed gray.



And a couple of days after I was finished, Ashley at Make it-Love it made a little jacket for her boy's costume that would have been helpful in making the lab coat. *Shake fist at the sky*



Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

Kristi said...

The costumes look amazing! Your kids are absolutely adorable. Yay for activities to show off the fun costumes!

Alicia said...

So so cute! A mini lab-coat!? I want to BE YOU when I grow up and learn to sew :) Great job, and the kiddos look fabulous!

Kacy said...

So Cute!!! I am impressed you made the coat without a pattern!

Kelli Burton said...

good work Em - such cuties!

Brittnie said...

they both look so cute! nice work on the lab coat and getting Penny's hair sprayed! And I love her little pink shoes!

mommaj said...

Cuteness overload. Glad that Reg has gone the Edward route, Bram is a little dark! The lab coat is amazing--I've never made anything without a pattern! Penny is cute to be "mad"!

Becky said...

Those are the cutest little kids! I wish you lived closer. Great costumes!!

kiley said...

So stinkin cute! And I love that Penny just learned how to say Happy Halloween!