We are painting today--and when I say we I mean my parents. I am the shuttle bus that runs to and from Lowe's because that's about all I'm good for. I also make food runs, keep the kids occupied, and direct which color goes on what wall, so I guess I'm not totally useless.
Just before lunch time, I packed up the kiddos and headed home to get some sandwich stuff to take back to the house. We got in, closed the door, packed up two grocery bags and headed for the door. I turned the handle and something felt funny about the knob. It had totally broken, and we were locked inside.
My reaction...YIKES!!! Shake my fist at the sky! Say a prayer for a doorknob miracle!
And when all that didn't work, I called Brandon, who of course couldn't do anything, but gave me some sympathy and told me to call the landlord. He also completely shot down my idea of climbing out our bedroom window onto the stairs leading up to our apartment. I did open the window a crack though, just in case we needed to climb back in.
So I called the landlord. She lives in Northern California. Not so convenient when the tenant is stuck inside the apartment. She gave me the go ahead to take off the knob, and thankfully we had a screw driver still here. I got on that while we were on the phone, but even with it off, we couldn't get out. I figured out how to manually turn the thingy--clearly I'm a handy woman--and got the door open! Hallelujah!
I went back to grab the grocery sacks, and Reggie closed the door. Ugh. We were locked in again. I may have forgotten to take the emotion out of my discipline while talking to him about not touching the door. Oops.
So I got us out again and headed to take lunch over. Afterwards, I brought my dad back with me, and we fiddled with the door from the outside. No luck. He climbed through the window and fiddled from the inside. No luck. I handed my kids through the open window and climbed through myself. For reals. And then we finally got the door opened and taped the stopper thing with duct tape so we wouldn't have this problem again.
So really, it was my dad that was MacGyver, but I should get some sort of points for climbing through the window, right?
4 comments:
I am laughing out loud as I read this to Josh. I can't even imagine it! What a fun story to tell the baby someday!
You get MAJOR points for climbing in the window. And just for the record, if YOUR dad can't fix it--it ain't ever getting fixed! Yes he's THAT good!
that is awesome.
That is so crazy. No joke the day we moved out of our condo the door handle broke too!! It must be good luck. I hope all is going good with the house! :)
Post a Comment