Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Some Details

We got the keys to our house last Thursday night and went over to just kind of bask in the moment.  The kids ran around like monkeys, and we started the "honey do" lists. 

The house that we bought was a short sale.  We put our offer in just before Halloween and now have the keys in our hands 4 months later, which isn't too terrible.  It would have been quicker (unheard of in a short sale, right?), but the holidays slowed us down for sure. 

The previous owners were using the house as a rental, so all the appliances came with.  I'm super relieved that among the list of things to do/buy, we don't have to add fridge, washer, dryer, etc. to the list.  

The whole place needs a good cleaning.  No big deal except I'm 8 months pregnant.  Thank heavens for a cleaning service that is coming on Thursday to take care of that for me.  Fingers crossed they make the place sparkle!

The entire interior (ceilings, walls, baseboards, doors) need to be painted.  Thankfully my parents are coming next Wednesday to work on the carpeted areas.  And can I just take a moment to comment on picking out paint!?  I thought my head would explode!  It still might.  I think we've picked out all our colors, but the neutral I want to use for the downstairs is looking pretty yellow in some lights, and I don't know if it's too much or liveable.  We'll see.

And while they're in town, my handyman dad is going to tackle a few projects for us.  I'm so grateful they're coming.  When the inspector was going over his report, everything was pretty minor in the repair department--things that we could do ourselves, if we knew how to, but we don't.  Luckily, my dad does and he should be able to knock off quite a few things on the list or show us how to do it. 

The home also needs new carpet.  Thank you RC Willey for having a blow out sale.  We've picked out something that feels pretty soft and is a nice, neutral that shouldn't show every speck of dirt.  The goal is to have the place carpeted sometime the week of the 20th. 

And the pool.  Yes, there's a pool.  It needs some lovin'.  And a fence.  Neither of us grew up with pools, and while Brandon did work as a pool boy one summer, we've got a few too many items on our plates to add the pool.  Looks like we'll be paying for pool service for a little bit until life settles back down, baby brother gets here, and we figure out how the heck to maintain a pool.  Salt water no less.  Whatever that means.

I will feel a lot better once a fence is in place, but it's going to be so nice to have the backyard/pool option.  The kids spent 45 minutes today coloring with sidewalk chalk while I met with a pool guy and got the house measured for carpet.  The fresh air and change of scenery did everyone good.

And while the house will be totally bare in the furniture department for awhile, we are lucky enough to have a few hand me downs coming our way from Brandon's parents.  And if you know them, you  know that they're hand me downs are in basically new condition.  Their "slightly used" couch is going to look so much better in the living room than our camp chairs. 

I'll start posting pics as we start tackling projects.  So far all we've really done is paint some sample colors on the wall, fix the garage door opener, and rip out old shelf paper in the kitchen and bathrooms.  Not really picture worthy.  We're planning to do the big move the end of February and baby brother should be showing up about three and a half weeks later.

Awesome timing.  :)

6 comments:

Shelly Cunningham said...

I am so happy for you. It all sounds so perfect, everything coming together. I can't wait to see pictures!

alanna said...

Wow. Super exciting Em!

Laura said...

That's awesome! I hope you have a lot of fun making it your home!

mommaj said...

So excited that we get to see it this weekend. Exciting times!

Bart & Krista said...

Can't wait to see pics!

Kacy said...

I'm so excited for you guys!! This will be so great for your family! :)