This week has been fine. But my goodness, it has felt long.
We said goodbye to my mom on Monday morning. She commented that it was different leaving me this time. I asked why, and she said it was because she knew that I knew what I was doing. Nothing like a compliment from Mom to instill confidence. :) And in honesty, having her come was different for me this time too. I didn't feel the same desperate need for my mom to come take care of me like I did with Reggie and Penny. Instead, I felt confident that I could handle my pain/soreness/discomfort and get myself back to where I needed to be physically. But I definitely still needed her. I needed her because my kids needed her. I needed to bond with Colby. I needed time that was just me staring at him. But Reggie and Penny needed someone to make them lunch, tie their shoes, take them outside....So while I was in La La land with Colby, my mom was in the trenches meeting the physical and emotional needs of my older babies. Bless her.
The kids have taken to Colby fine. Penny tries to pick him up every now and again, but for the most part she is happy to hold him for a minute, say "I wuv you baby Toby" and then be done. And yes, she calls him Toby. Or Kobe. The L sound is eluding her. Reggie has been extra interested in Colby. He likes to take care of him while I put on make up or clean something up. On the flip side, he has told me that he hates me several times over the past two weeks. No worries though. If teaching kindergarten taught me anything, it was to laugh when a kid says "I hate you." Oh, they might mean it in the moment, but it only lasts for that brief second. And then it's back to "You're the best mommy in the world."
They've also been interested in nursing. At first, P would tell me to put my shirt back on. She seems to be over that. Reggie stayed with me the whole time when I nursed Colby right after coming home from the hospital. And he kept asking "Are you ok?" and "Is Colby ok?" And my favorite comment was "I didn't know you had milk in your chest-es." It makes me laugh.
We've ventured out a bit throughout the week because we're all going crazy being stuck inside. I braved the park on the only day it wasn't so windy. It's spring break though, so the park was crazy crowded. And I must be postpartum because my normal "Just look for their shoes" every couple of minutes strategy wasn't working for me, and I actually got off my park bench several times to track down my two. Bless their hearts for being good little friends and sticking together on the slides.
We also trekked through Target because I have forgotten how many diapers a newborn goes through. And (ahem) how many nursing pads I go through. :) I felt a little bizarre strolling through the store with Colby in the main basket, Reggie and Penny strapped into the double seats, and trying to stuff all the things we needed in the normal baby seat area. I'm sure I looked a little bizarre too.
Today I packed everyone up for my two weeks postpartum visit. I had tried to find a babysitter for the older two, but the stars were not aligning in my favor. So we loaded up and set out for the doctor's office. I should mention that our "van car" has still not received its plates even though it's been registered for almost a month. I've been dodging policemen all week--turning into random neighborhoods when necessary--because the sticker in the back window has expired. So today I made it to the last turn before the OB's office and got pulled over. I was annoyed. Reggie thought it was the greatest moment of his life up to that point. P kept saying "Policeman!" Colby slept through it.
The policeman was nice. I don't know if he could have cited me, but thankfully he didn't. I didn't cry (hello, I"m postpartum so it was a real possibility), but I did throw out there "I just had a baby and am on my way to my OBGYN." Perhaps it was sympathy over just having a baby, or perhaps he didn't want to talk anymore about the OBGYN, but he hustled me through and the traffic stop only took minutes. I had all the proof that the car was registered and everything checked out in his system so he sent me on my way. We made it to the doctor on time, got through the office in a half hour, and then headed to the mall to pick up P's pictures.
At the mall, Reggie really REALLY wanted to see the Easter Bunny. He had tried the week before, but chickened out. So we trekked to the Easter Bunny, but there was a long line and Penny started screaming about the bunny being scary. So I told Reggie we would just wave and keep moving. So then he started screaming about how he wanted to be brave, and sit on his lap, and blah blah blah. At this point I bribed them with promises of McDonald's cookies and orange juice soda crap (sorry, I don't like that word either, but that Hi C stuff cannot be described more accurately than saying it's crap. And yet I love it so...). That calmed P down, but Reggie continued to holler. Did I mention there was a long line? It was embarrassing.
And on the way home from McD's, I had to dodge one more policeman.
I have three kids.
It's tiring.
But it's awesome.
(But it might not be so awesome if I have to take them to the DMV next week.)
6 comments:
What a week! Hopefully those stickers come soon. Im sure things will even themselves out. Wish we were closer to help out!
..."milk in your chest-es!" I am cracking up! Jack is very interested in nursing as well. Always asking if there's milk in there and if Wyatt's "eating my boob"... Kind of embarrassing depending who is around!
I am glad to hear that three is as overwhelming as it seems. There are moments for me, too, where I feel I've got it under control, but there are other times I feel like I should maybe have my own reality show, like today while I fed Wyatt dinner and the twins were pretending to "work on" our old printer and somehow got the toner ALL OVER their hands and tools... The work is never ending!
Thanks for sharing your stories.
I so love reading your blog.
Congrats on baby Colby! It sounds like you're doing great. You give me hope! :) I love the way you write too!!! It's so fun to read!
I'm seriuosly impressed that you took the kids to do all that. Give me a call and you can drop off Reggie and Penny while you go to the DMV. I'm free on Monday.
I love it! It sounds like you are doing awesome with 3! Super mom. Lots of DMV stuff can be done online... you might want to check into it. Once I did it all online but then I had to take the filled out paperwork inside. When I went to take a number they just took my paperwork and let me leave!
Have I told you lately how much I ADORE you?!! I have no doubt that you will be fabulous with three--you are a natural mother and very patient.
Glad to hear that you know how to dodge a cop, that may come in very handy! :D
Post a Comment