Saturday, April 21, 2012
Reggie
This is Reggie around 5 weeks. He looks a heck of a lot like Colby. Or Colby looks a heck of a lot like him. One of the two...
This kid has nearly driven me crazy these past four weeks. I was most worried about how Penny would react to the new baby. That worry was a waste of my time. So far, she could care less. She loves him. She says hi. She likes to see his eyes when they're open. And then she's done. Her behavior toward the baby and just in general has been very even. Thank heavens.
Reggie, on the other hand, has given me some headaches. He's the one who has been super curious and likes to poke, poke, poke until I realize what's going on and tell him to leave Colby alone. He's the one who has given him a good shake. Thankfully, all of that seems to be subsiding, and we haven't had any real "incidents" towards the baby in the last little bit.
He also had the hardest time with me in the hospital. He was the one who totally lost it that first night when he had to go home with Grandma and I had to stay. He's the one who followed me around like a little puppy for the first little bit--probably to make sure I wasn't going anywhere. He's the one who had the hardest time with going to the bathroom while Grandma was here, and subsequently spent the last four weeks re-potty training. That was frustrating. And we're still working on it. Super frustrating.
But today he made me proud. He's starting to get invited to birthday parties for his little friends. The very first party he was invited to was at a friend's house who he is super comfortable with. Unfortunately, he got the stomach flu the morning of the party and couldn't go.
Today he was invited to a party of a friend that he knows from church, but they've never played outside of nursery. I told him that the party was just for kids, and I wouldn't be staying. He seemed ok with that. But walking from our car to the park pavilion where the party was being held, he held my hand tight and kind of hung back a little. We got to the picnic table, I sat him down, told him to stay with the group, and left. And there was no freak out. No tears. I honestly thought it could go that way, but he held it together. When I picked him up, the mom said that Reggie had sat on that picnic bench the entire time. Hadn't moved an inch. He told me that he was waiting for me to come back and that he had missed me. But he also told me about the fun goody bag and the pinata.
I don't think he had the time of his life. I think he probably worried about where I was. But he did it.
And that makes me proud.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Reg! I hope he evens out quickly too. Poor guy. Poor Emmy. Its hard to take all of these big changes. Glad to see that he's making some progress. Hopefully he gets back to being potty trained (yikes!) Best of luck to ya!
I hope he gets over it soon Em. I know what having a clingy child is like. It sounds like you're amazing with him though. :)
It is such a transition for the whole family! I can't believe how much Reg and Colby look alike. The good news is that makes them BOTH very handsome! Hang in there mom, you will get your life back!
I came. I saw. But I didn't comment...
Now I'm back and ready to comment!
What a cuuuuuuute little baby! Colby is a perfect addition to your sweet family. I'm glad to hear things are going relatively well. Sorry about the relapse in potty-training. No fun. I hope things get back on track soon. I think it's so sweet that Reggie just sat there and waited for his momma! Congrats on all the fun changes!!
Post a Comment