Wednesday, June 6, 2012
I Stand Corrected
I wouldn't say I was someone who enjoyed little babies. I felt like I hit the "sweet" spot with my babies when they turned 5 months-ish. Everything before that was a battle of zombie-ness, blow-out-diapers-ness, and what-the-heck-am-I-going-to-do-to-make-this-kid-quit-screaming-ness. And generally speaking, I didn't do well with those battles. The first four months, those months before the baby interacted back, were long and sometimes rough.
Reggie was a good baby. A really, really good baby. Which was perfect, because I don't know if I would have survived first time mothering with a difficult baby. In fact, when people ask me lately how the transition from two to three is going and then mention that that leap was their most difficult, I have to disagree. Going from none to one was by far the hardest for me. I've mentioned before on the blog about the baby blues. Thankfully, my blues only lasted about 6 weeks, but I was still pretty lonely for those first four months. And sadly, when I think back on Reggie's new babyhood, I remember more of the blues and loneliness than I do the precious moments. Very, very sad.
Penny was a good baby from sun up to about 7:00 at night. And then the screaming started. Oh the screaming. We bounced. We rocked. We sang. We went into a dark bathroom and turned the fan on. And the screaming typically continued through all of it. The only thing that stopped her for longer than the few seconds it took to catch her breath was to hold her vertical about a foot in front of the TV.
So between Reggie and P I had decided that those first few months of babyhood were more about survival than anything and I didn't like it.
But I stand corrected.
I'm so in love with Colby's babyhood. Maybe it's because I'm older. Maybe it's because this is my third time around the block (and Brandon's too so we know how to tag team a little better). Maybe it's because he is interacting already and giving me the most adorable gummy grins. Maybe it's because I have a four year old and a two year old wreaking havoc, and Colby's the only one I don't send to timeout in the course of a day.
But for whatever reason, I am super duper loving Colby's baby stage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Yay so happy for you. And Colby is a sweetheart
He is pretty AWESOME! Wish I lived closer--of course that would mean you would probably have to put me in time out too :D
I'm the same way-I would skip the first 6 months if I could! Though I do love snuggling a sleeping baby...
Post a Comment