Monday, June 25, 2012

There's Something About Sundays

I think every Monday morning, I call my mom and tell her we survived Sunday.  "How was your day?" she asks.  And I always reply, "We survived."

Confession:  I don't really like Sundays.

Church is fine.  Church is enjoyable.  Church doesn't necessarily bring the spiritual experiences that it used to before children, but there is always something that picks me up and lifts my spirit.  Church is good.

It's the before and after church part that is so dang hard.  That  part makes me want to pull my hair out and lock my children in time out for the rest of the day.

And I don't quite get it.  I take care of the three kiddos day in and day out by myself from 7 to 6 ish.  So the fact that Brandon isn't around to corral and help isn't anything new.  But for whatever reason, it's nearly impossible on Sunday to get teeth brushed, hair combed, clothes and shoes on, and keep everyone happy.  And yet, I can do it everyday Monday through Friday just fine. 

And then there's the explosion that happens every Sunday before and after church where dishes are thrown all over the kitchen, toys are strewn all over the house, and clothes are littered over every spare inch of floor. 

I don't like it.  Not one bit.

Anyone else feel the same?  Anyone else conquered the Sunday beast?  Cuz I need help.  Or an attitude adjustment.  One of the two.

7 comments:

mommaj said...

I used to wonder when that "hour of peace and rest was" and I decided it must be from 2:30-3:30AM! Sundays used to be exhausting!

Alicia said...

I. hate. sundays. Hate them! They are so hard! And it is strange because that is the only day Brad is home. But it is a triumph to survive. I agree with you!

alanna said...

I know what you mean about the kids and messes. I sorta like Sundays though. Even though my hubby has ward council before church and usually a meeting after, I at least get him for more of the day than usual. We also tend to have Sunday dinner with extended family or ward members. I always look forward to that.
But yeah, it's WAY different than before children.

Jenn said...

For us, even church is a trial. Sacrament is without fail the most exhausting hour of my week. I can't remember the last time I felt spiritually uplifted. Camille JUST got old enough for nursery, but we've been asked to sub in various primary/nursery callings since, so we still aren't getting the full grown-up church experience. I'll admit the unitarian church down the street with their kid ministry looks awfully appealing sometimes.

Kristi said...

Yesterday they talked about how to make the Sacrament more meaningful in Relief Society. Everyone gave nice suggestions and then one lady raised her hands and asked how to do that with kids. A few more suggestions were given (none of which I thought would eork for us yet) and then one older lady said, "it will only be for a small moment." apparently Sundays are a universal mystery. Good luck and let me know if you find anything that helps!

Erick and Megan said...

I feel like I got beat up pretty much every Sunday after church too. Something about heels, and dragging around a giant bag, and lots of kids and snacks to wear you out! Hope you will be at the Tibbitts reuions so we can finally meet!

Love, Megan Johnson (Brandon's cousin!)

Lauren said...

I am so with you! We don't have church until one but getting all four of us out the door on time is impossible! And once we get there Addie is horrible the whole time because she needs a nap!